Friday, October 23, 2009

Bishop G. Patrick Ziemann

He passed away early, yesterday morning and the loss I feel is one that I can not still put into words.

Bishop Pat was a man full of life and full of faith - a good man, a caring man and one who truly believed that if you have nothing to die for, then you have nothing to live for.

"Siempre Adelante" was the phrase he used, from Junipero Serra, the founder of many missions in California.

I am glad I was able to visit with him two weeks ago today - for that, I thank with all my heart Jorge Garay, who made that possible. I thank Mike Heffernan that made the journey with us. Tom Cote, the one we had not seen since graduation, some 22 years ago and thank everyone that sent letters with us for Bishop Pat.

The seminary community is much smaller now. First, Sister Leo Francis O'Callahan and now, Bishop G. Patrick Ziemann. The star never set for these two, now, when I look up to the heavens, those two stars will burn for all eternity in the heavens above.

No comments: