Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Visit with the Z-Man . . .

To my seminary brothers:

Jorge, Mike and myself did drive down to Arizona - St. David, Arizona, which is just south of Benson and we arrived ~ 5:30 P.M. We were lucky enough to be able to go straight in and almost immediately, we sat down with the G-Man.

He was obviously frail-looking, but upon knowing it was us, his eyes lit up with recognition, knew who we were and told us that he would be able to spend maybe 15 minutes with him.

He told us that he was ill and that he would be dead in a few short weeks - he was at peace, but still so full of life and his memory still sharp of our time at OLQA.

Everyone that sent me a letter or called me, we mentioned by name and read their letter to him. He was touched, he appreciated hearing from everyone and he remembered everyone as well.

When we asked him if he remembered receiving a note and picture of one of you, he did say that did not recall receiving the note, but he did show us a basket full of cards and letters (I estimate he had over a hundred) and he stated that he would do his best to get to them.

The most difficult thing, for me (yeah, I was thinking about myself), was reading the letters to Bishop. He sat back and listened to each and every word as Jorge, Mike and I were reading them to him.

He asked for my name and phone number on a clipboard - rather odd since he has my contact information and we found out after that it was so we could be notified upon his passing.

Near the end, he entrusted to Jorge, Mike and myself, the statue of Mary from the Marian Chapel of OLQA. We were stunned, but immediately accepted and took her home with us. We intend to contact FR.ED to maybe have him care for her at his parrish so that all seminarians may reconnect with her, Z-Man and the old place we called home for a few years. Jorge has her right now and we are working out the details.

E-mail me direct and we can call each other and talk about it.

It was hard. It was difficult, but I can say that I am sooooooo happy that I saw him one last time and spent time with him.

No comments: