Tuesday, December 15, 2009

THERE, I said it.

Christmas.

What is the big deal? Not only did I say it, but I wrote it down, here in the blog and on Noriega.biz.

Someone shared a letter from their e-mail account about how the ACLU is trying to remove Christmas from everything and everywhere.

As I listened intently, all of sudden, they asked me if I had an opinion and of course, me being me, I stated: "Does it matter if I tell you that I am a card-carrying ACLU member?"

The look on her face was priceless. SCORE! I decided to go with it: "Are you shocked? I mean, I am not a member, but I am a contributor to the ACLU. Don't you remember that I have a radio program and I have to be sensitive to everyone. I mean, after all, what is the freaking big deal about saying 'happy holidays' or 'Merry Christmas'? What does it matter?"

"It matters that the ACLU  and others are trying to remove Christmas from everything!"

"Are you attempting to marginalize a group that is only attempting to protect the Constitution and especially, Free Speech? Look, I get it - they tend to make big mistakes, but hey, what are they really trying to do?"

"Take Christmas away?"

At this point, I realize that my intellectual curiosity was not about to attain a higher plain of understanding in this argument.

"As long as you continue to practice Christmas with those you love, Christmas will never be gone or taken away."

"So does this mean that it is OK to mail the ACLU a letter to flood them with letters so that we can bring them down?"

"Write your letter and if like, write one for me."

I wonder if the 5.00 that I gave the ACLU recently was enough to higher someone to read the flood of letters that will be coming down the pipe?

Who is taking Christmas away? Why are people so concerned with taking something away when, in fact, nothing has been done to do such a thing? The ability to post a banner on government property is probably gone - but why is this such a big deal? Who cares? Christmas is not gone and will never be. If having a nativity set or a banner in Public, Government property proof that Christmas is alive and well, aren't we really being shallow and very much like the Pharisee in the bible that made a big deal of living a "correct" life? Why do we need to be in "the christmas spirit"? Am I trying to impress to co-workers? Who cares? I don't. Christmas is a remember of being with people that I care to be with. It is not an outward sign that needs to be shown to others - it is, what we are inside of us that matters. Besides, I am making this a bit long and wife is on me to help her with the Christmas lights . . .

No comments: