Thursday, December 9, 2010

My grandmother . . .

Today, nine years ago, you left us.

I will never forget when that call came in, late at night. I knew the call, when it rang, it was bad news. Alma told me that you had just passed away. We had just left, not one hour earlier and upon reaching home, we received the news.

I am sorry I was not there when you left us and I do think of you often. I remember your kindness and your love to us all. Flawed you may have been, it was only because your love blinded you to have patience and tolerance for one and all.

I will forever remember how the migrant workers would visit your home and you would cook a meal for them and send them on their way. How you never turned anyone away and how you gave everything you had for your family.

My two girls remember you and still smile when I speak of you and for that, I can only give thanks and regret that they did not have you for more time.

I miss you and still think of you, but you were with me for 32 years and for that, I can only give thanks for having you in my life. Today and each day, on the 9th of December, I go back and live in the memories that you gave me.

I never did tell you that we almost named Ariel for you. Aurelia, she could have been. In many ways, she is you, loving and caring and tolerant for one and all. You gave that to her. We still have that - from you.

Aurelia. You left this earth on December 9, 2001. You still live in my heart and my mind.

No comments: